How to Keep Your Dog Cool in the Summer
As the weather is finally getting warmer, it’s important to remember that our dogs can’t keep cool as easy as we can—like drinking a nice, cold glass of lemonade—but there are ways that we CAN help our dogs stay cool in the summer. Follow these tips below:
- Stay Indoors– If you have air conditioning in your house, and your dogs are able to relax and hang out inside then this is the best option during very hot days.
- Be conscious of the time of day– the hottest time of the day is usually early to mid-afternoon. Try and get your dog walks in (or any other outdoor activity) during the early morning or late evening.
- Provide shade– trees are great for shade, but not every household or place you go has them. Consider portable sun shades, patio umbrellas, or pop-up canopies to help provide your dog a cool resting place.
- Provide plenty of fresh drinking water– having several large bowls of fresh, cool water will surely help your dog stay cool and hydrated. Be sure to place them in an easily accessible area, and make sure to refresh them daily (if not more).
- Add water to their play– if your dog loves to play in water, a dog pool could be a great option to keep them cool and active. Another option is a sprinkler or hose. Dogs can have endless fun with these as well.
- Don’t shave your dog’s coat– some people may think that they are doing their dogs a favor when shaving them in the summer months, but it actually does the opposite. Dogs’ coats actually do help them stay cooler in the summer and helps prevent sunburn. Brushing your dog regularly will help thin out their coat but not eliminating it completely like shaving does.
These are just a few quick tips to help keep your dog cool in the summer. For more information visit: